Thursday, March 13, 2014

My new theme song and the bewitched bike

On Tuesday, I stopped in the office briefly while on my day-long ride for a bathroom break and to refill my water. My co-workers remarked at my attire. Somehow, I wound up wearing all black. It wasn't intentional, I assure you. Black sweater, black skirt, black leggings and black shoes.

Co-worker #1:"You look like the Wicked Witch of the West on on a bike!"

"Holy crap, I do!"

Co-worker #2: (starts singing the Miss Gulch's Theme from the Wizard of Oz) "Dah dah da da nah NAH! Dah dah da da nah NAH!"

"... and your little dog too!"

Co-worker #1: "Bwahahahaha!"

Co-worker #2: "We need to get you a flying monkey."

Much amusement was had at my expense.






I rode past the office again later after the office was closed. I hear a faint "Dah dah da da nah NAH! Dah dah da da nah NAH!"coming from the parking lot. Co-worker #2: was walking to her car, saw me and decided to sing my theme music to me. Hilarious. I nearly crashed because I was laughing so hard.

____________________________________

Thursday, I tried to get a ride in on my lunch hour. It was 21 degrees with wind chills in the single digits... a far cry from the high 60's on Tuesday.

Over a small trail bump and I heard a clatter behind me. The reflector plate of the brand new rear light fell off. *Grumble* I collected the now-cracked plate and batteries, stashed them in my bag and went on my way. On the bright side, at least it didn't fall in the street where a car would squish it before I could collect the parts.

A few yards beyond that, the all-too-familiar smooshy feeling in the back tire returned. I got off and it kneeled next to the bike to squeeze the tire and a gust of wind toppled the bike over onto me. Arrgh!
Crushed under my own bike!? The indignity! 
I stewed for a few seconds, looking at all the piles of fresh goose crap around me and thought...."If I'm covered in goose shit, I'm going to...."




I clambered out from under Ruby, dusted myself off, happily discovered I was poop-free, uprighted the bike and by then the tire was completely flat.

I was suspicious before, but I was convinced now that there was a gap in the tire that was letting debris in to puncture the tube. I was less than a mile from the office, so I walked the bike back and called to see if Thick could see me later for a new tire.

On my way back, the ziptie that held the cadence magnet on broke and sent it flying down the hallway in the building. Well, at least it didn't break off in the street where I'd never find it.

OK, seriously. Enough bad luck for a while, please?




Thick decided I needed a new tire. They quickly changed it and I was on my way lickety split.

A fresh new tire. *crossing fingers*


1 comment:

  1. My takeaway was: This is so great, she's using her bike enough that the weak little shit-points are failing! She's field-stressing it. Also:B&M? #Covet Go Red!

    ReplyDelete

Red LOVES comments, make Red's day! Your comments will be posted after Red gets around to hitting that 'moderate' button.