Saturday, December 20, 2014

Chasing 4000... and then this happened

I'm less than 36 miles from that number: 4000
4000 miles traveled on the bike for the year.
It's a nice number, a nice even one, lots of zeros there.
I don't think I'm going to make it.
Because this:

The urgent care facility prodding and poking devices





Suddenly, without warning and with no trauma: my knee stopped working. It refused to straighten out, just like that while I was walking through the kitchen at home Thursday night. Much pain when trying to bear weight, swelling and lots of movement in the knee cap took place.

Does this look swollen?


Friday I called off work for the first time in 2 years. I tried to get an appointment with a orthopedist, but no luck: the soonest anyone could see me was Monday. I went to one of those urgent care places: they took x-rays and found nothing other than "Wow, your knees are beat up! They look like they've been through a war! I thought I was looking at 80 year-old knees!"
Thanks for the editorial remarks, Doc. She categorized it as a sprain. Interestingly, the affected knee gave no response when she thwacked at it with the rubber mallet. I still have awesome blood pressure: 110/60
I'd gladly trade my low blood pressure and cholesterol numbers for better knees.
48 hours later, I still can't bend my knee. The swelling and pain in the kneecap have gone away, but tightness in the back of the knee keeps me in bed, relying on Spouse for food and water. I've forgotten how much I hate crutches.


The view from my perch.


I'm bored and I want wear clothes other than pajamas and get back on the bike.

Just 36 miles, that's all I wanted.


December 22nd UPDATE:


After seeing an actual orthopedist who is suspicious that I have yet another meniscus tear, I have an MRI scheduled.

Having suffered a meniscus tear 8 years ago in the same knee, I can say this pain is much, much worse.

I was glad to be at work (!) and not wearing sweatpants.

By the end of Monday... after 4 days, I was finally able to straighten my leg.


December 29th UPDATE:

I got a call from the orthopedist's office, the tear is significant with hunks of meniscal debris floating around inside the knee. So significant they aren't bothering with the "Well, these are your options: injections, therapy, or surgery" route, they went right to "We're scheduling you to see a surgeon."

While I do feel well enough to pedal on flat trails, when I try and mount the bike, my knee says "NO!" to the minor twisting of the knee required to hoist the right leg over the top bar. 

While I could see a surgeon a few days sooner, I opted to wait a few days and see the surgeon of my choice.

6 comments:

  1. Sorry about that, sounds like the knees are asking for some rest. I wonder what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that. Do they think the cause is from the bike??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike and John...
      Doubtful, doctors have always been recommending to me: swimming and cycling as a low-impact exercise. It's running, jumping and twisting actions that wreck knees. I've been prone to knee injuries and arthritis since I was a child. All of my joints ache and scream on a regular basis.

      Delete
  3. Red that really sucks, I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no!!! How are you feeling now? Knee pain is not fun. That's crazy how swollen they got.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over the past few days, It's been betting much better. I'm on 2400mg of ibuprofen and still icing it. I may try and ride a flat mile or so tomorrow.

      Delete

Red LOVES comments, make Red's day! Your comments will be posted after Red gets around to hitting that 'moderate' button.