Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Currently convalescing with crocheting

I need stuff to do while I don't have the ability to ride the bike. 
I can only read and clean the house so much and DVDs are only 1-2 hours long.
After seeing Tin Lizzie's post about reflective fabrics and yarns, my interest in rekindling my hatred for knitting was re-ignited. I re-learned the steps for crocheting and practiced a bit. I was still lousy at this. It took a few tries to gain enough confidence in my remedial skills and I ordered some of the reflective yarns. Neon yellow, neon green and safety orange.
This would be the ugliest damn scarf.
Ever.



I figured out how to chain-up!



Some subdued colors for a less hideous version too.

One color on.
Almost finished!
Pudge is my scarf model

When I started chaining on the third and final color, I became concerned: it looks like a flag. Whoa, what country was this? Would I be wearing the National Colors of some despised entity? Would I find myself cycling past someone and get harassment if they didn't agree with the politics of this nation?

Thankfully, the closest these colors come to an official flag of a sovereign nation is:

Mali (green, yellow, red)

Guinea (red, yellow and green)


Ireland (green, white and orange)
I think I may rip out the orange and use that yarn in another scarf.

1-22-15
UPDATE: I ripped out the orange with plans for the orange in another scarf.

Here's the finished (orange-less) product:


Not bad for a noob.

 I'm delighted to have this new interest... it keeps my mind off the bad things and the worsening pain in my knee. I bought a few more non-reflective yarns and a new larger needle with plans for another project.
I have an exaggerated limp from the increasing pain and I'm glad to be sitting, and also sad to be sitting. I'd rather be on the bike.

Someone said to me today when they saw my difficulties in walking: "I bet you'll be glad to have this surgery."

Yes, yes I will.


1/28/15 Project 2 is finished and project 3 is underway:


#2 Reflective orange with non-reflective black
#3 A cowl that uses the reflective olive/green



1 comment:

  1. I wish you a speedy recovery Red and lots of miles under your wheels this year.

    For your next knitting project, might I suggest a toque with an integrated wool beard? :D

    ReplyDelete

Red LOVES comments, make Red's day! Your comments will be posted after Red gets around to hitting that 'moderate' button.