Thursday, June 4, 2015

How to make Angry Robot Panniers

I've got a thing for panniers, I need one for every occasion. Nearly all of them are waterproof and for good reason: I ride in the rain.

A few of my panniers weren't meeting my stringent criteria for reflectiveness and I wanted to add reflective tape to the sides. Sewing them on or using iron-on reflective tape wasn't feasible if I wanted undamaged panniers.
I was in the midst of hunting for an epoxy/glue/adhesive product for this purpose, but I decided to ask Marko what he used to add his reflective material to his red handmade pannier.


He told me he had used double-sided carpet tape


So, I scampered off to Home Depot and picked up a roll of the stuff. It is very sticky.



I gutted some reflective striping from an ill-fitting vest that I hated.


 The panniers I wanted to add the stripes to already had some reflective material on the back and front.

Here's the same pannier with reflective strips added to the side with the double-sided tape.

 I hadn't noticed that the round knob that closes the pannier was reflective until I took flash pictures of it.
*robot arms flailing* Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!

The pair.

Sha-pow!
Angry Pannier says: "Don't hit us, ya jagoff!"
As an after thought, I wondered if arranging the reflective pieces in the shape of an angry face would help. As they are, they remind me of a robot's face. Perhaps Bender or a Cylon?






I did the same with my Banjo Brothers pannier.

My eyes!

1 comment:

  1. GAHHH!! I love it. I'm going to share with the Seattle Family FB page.

    ReplyDelete

Red LOVES comments, make Red's day! Your comments will be posted after Red gets around to hitting that 'moderate' button.