Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Snow Ride


 I started early hoping to beat the snow that was forecast, about 8:45. I should have started earlier. The temperature was 21 with windchills in the teens.


Here's some graffiti reflecting the love/hate relationship with my bike.
The seat nose adjustment made to the bike made a considerable difference, but I still feel like I want the handlebars in a different position. Higher perhaps?





But, I don't want to walk my bike!


7 miles out and I wanted to keep going. Much snow had fallen and there was about a inch accumulated on top of the crunchy older snow.  I decided to turn around at this bridge in Cecil.



 On the way back, I noticed an old gas station with some vintage pumps that were yearning for a photo opportunity.




Fill 'er up, please.



Note the difference in the trail on my way out vs. on the way back:
Before
After


I heard and saw many species of bird: nuthatches, flickers, downies, wrens, jays, red-tailed hawks, chickadees, cardinals and white-throated sparrows.





On my way out, I noticed one very slick icy patch while going down a hill. I carefully avoided it. On my return in granny gear back up the hill, everything was covered in new snow. I wondered where the icy patch was, and then I saw the fresh footprints of a trail walker under me, they suddenly turned into 'swishes' rather than crisp footprints. 
Then this happened:


When I started out this morning, I knew there was a strong possibility that I might take a spill. I had in my head the advice of other cyclists when it comes to falling: 'Just let it happen, don't fight it'. I did just that and nothing was broken, ripped out of a socket or bruised. I don't even feel the tensing of muscles after taking a fall.

I'm still going to take one of those super hot showers that are good for loosening up muscles.


YTD Miles: 498
BMI: 25.3


1 comment:

  1. Very very impressive! Both from a Rule9 perspective, and also that you took a photo when horizontal. Very Nicely done. Congrats on the cusp of 500 miles.

    ReplyDelete

Red LOVES comments, make Red's day! Your comments will be posted after Red gets around to hitting that 'moderate' button.